Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Thrift Booty

  After the last posting we at the Amish Viking received many emails inquiring about our approach to money. Since personal finance is a woefully under represented topic on blogs I have decided to be of service.  Several people have also asked how I balance the two seemingly opposing sides of my upbringing.  On the one hand you have my mother's influence.  This is the honest, hard working people of the rural farm.  They work for peace, understand the value of a day’s work, and enjoy knowing their money is earned with valuer.  The other side is my father and his sea faring people.  They don't mind taking what's theirs, even if at one time it belonged to you.  They actually prefer showing up in the middle of the night, dumping your belongings into a trunk and leaving before the sun rises.  Most have enjoyed several stiff drinks before the work begins.  
  I have found some middle ground.  Recently my job in a large office building has decided to move.  As you may have read in past postings I don't mind picking up a penny from the ground.  I don't mind taking any of your change, but I will not do it without your knowledge or atleast the comfort of knowing it was left on the ground without a second thought.  How does this apply to an office moving buildings; there are many “without a second thoughts” going on in there. 
  I have decided to check abandoned and empty desks for loose change.  Its going very well.  As of 2 days before the official move I have found $2.78.  I call this approach to personal finance Thrift Booty.  (Clearly in the personal finance world booty is a synonym for lute or plunder.  Keep it family). 
  In further blog postings I hope to expand my approach to Thrift Booty and all the financial wonders it offers.  I endeavor to leave no path to Thrift Booty un-explored.  This does not mean however that I am beginning a personal finance blog, I will simply offer my insight on Thrift Booty as it arises. 
  Do you have any suggestions of how I can follow my desire to take what's yours while keeping my Amish principles intact.

2 comments:

  1. Thrift Booty opportunities I have enjoyed:

    1. Open your car door at any fast food drive-thru. There's usually at least a dime there, often more.
    2. When the cup by the register says "Take a Penny", oblige -- EVEN IF YOU HAVE PENNIES ALREADY.
    3. When shopping at Whole Foods, grab a plastic bag from the recycling bin on the way in. Then at checkout, show them your bag. They give you a nickel for each bag you "brought."

    In this way, I can scavenge up to a dozen dollars per year. (!!!) I like to pretend I'd be rich in some faraway nation which most Americans have trouble pronouncing.

    Jq

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just what I was looking for. shockingly simple.

    ReplyDelete