Friday, April 8, 2011

Letter home from Lancaster

  Just the other day my mother sent me a package containing letters I had sent. These letters were written during my time visiting my family during my summers of character building. I’ve decided to share some with you as a way to gain a deeper connection and understanding. I decided to retype them for you, my penmanship hasn’t improved much over the years.



July 5, 1987

Hi Mom and Dad,

  I hope your day is going well. Mine is good. This morning Uncle Ab told me we needed to milk the cows again. He let me sleep yesterday because we went to the neighbor’s house for the Fourth of July.

  I don’t think Uncle Ab had ever done that before, he was glad you told him about the holiday. I don’t know how he made it this far without setting off fireworks. He really liked it, and he had some great ideas for making them bigger. Did you know that plastic doesn’t really burn, it just kind of melts and smells bad. And if you don’t mind getting your fingers burned you can make it into different shapes. And did you know that there is a plant that after you break it open you can use it to smoosh on your burnt fingers and it really makes them feel better, its like medicine.

  Aunt Kathy cooks really good food. She made enough salads for 3 parties. There was potato, pasta, warm potato and cheese, macaroni, spinach, broccoli, and macaroni and cheese which is not really a salad but was on the salad table. I had some of each of them because I know you say its rude not to have what is provided, and then I had 2 hot dogs and 2 hamburgers. I had some deserts too, she made 4 different pies with fruit in it and a wet bottom shoo fly pie. It totally cracked me up every time she said that name. Did you know that there is a plant for when your stomach makes those sounds that sound like something is grumbling under your belly. It doesn’t work as well as the burn your fingers plant.

  I really like our bathroom at home. I can’t wait to see you guys. Have a neat summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment