Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Paint your hair

  I have a red beard. Not redhead red but more the fantastic color of the movie Vikings. The beard is red enough that my sister has accused me of using hair dye. Some sort of Just for Vikings product to create this luscious color. But no, I have not. As you might know top of the head hair and chin hair are generally slighty different colors, its all genetics. Somewhere near the top of your ear, as the side burns begin, your hair color changes. I don’t have time to explain it in detail, but I will say I have only colored my hair once, it happened in High School. I had no beard at that point. And I only dyed my hair because everyone else was doing it.
  (And yes, to answer your thought, I would jump off a cliff if everyone else was doing it. Indeed I have jumped off a cliff with a whole group of people. We jumped into a big river that had an eddy, the eddy pushed us back up the river instead of pulling us down stream.
  We had just eaten lunch after boating down the river all morning. Our group leader noticed the flow of the water and suggested it would be a fun way to spend the afternoon. He had also put a rope down the side of the cliff for our return trip. We all ran to edge, jumped out into the great unknown, smiled or screamed as we fell, and hit the cold water below with a collective splash. It was really fun and I’d do it again).
  All of this hair dying (and cliff jumping) is only to introduce a coworker that we’ll call Splashy. In the mornings I look across the way to see Splashy with a compact mirror up in the air. Every morning she gets to her desk and puts her face on. But some mornings she adds a special element. She paints her hair.
  Splashy uses her mascara brush to delicately cover her gray roots that have begun to show at her temples. Depending on her hairstyle the gray is covered. But some mornings she has her hair pulled back in a tight pony tail, so the gray pops right out there. Here comes the black mascara to the rescue.
I am certainly not making fun of the fact that Splashy’s hair is beginning to gray. I no longer have top of the head hair, let alone gray hair, far be it from me to point out another person’s gray hair that still exists.
  This post is simply meant to serve as a reminder that you are not invisible just because you have a compact mirror up to your face. We can still see you. Just saying.

1 comment: