Thursday, December 23, 2010

Replacement Clothes

  At this point in my life I have learned a few things that I would now like to share for your edification. As the year is coming to an end I am reflecting on my life and habits. Here are a few things to keep with you and ponder for yourself.
   I’ve learned that it is a good idea to spend money on quality sheets. You spend many hours in them, go ahead and get the high thread count. I know how to control a team of horses (keep the strongest in the middle) and my way around small engines (hire someone else). And I have learned it is not wise to raid a Monastery. For real, those guys are disciplined and tenacious. You may well be successful, but the guilt will linger.
  I have also learned in my thirty and some years that I do not need new clothes. What I need are replacement clothes. When my tan pants get all scruffy at the cuff because they are slightly too long and sometimes get wet and stepped on by my heel, I don’t want a new or different pair of pants. I want the same pair of pants, just not scruffy. And when the t-shirts that I wear every day get those dark marks in the arm pit that won’t go away with washing (it happens to yours too so just back off), I do not want a new style. I want the same brand, same size, same color, and same softness as the other shirt.
  This realization became clear to me the other day when I was considering purchasing new boots. I realized that I did not want just any boots, I wanted the boots that I had 15 years ago. Those were great boots. They were durable enough for kicking around the farm, and tough enough to strike fear when boarding a long boat. Many of my finest memories wore those boots. And I want them again. I don’t want them in order to relive the past, but simply to enjoy today with boots that I know will be fantastic.
   To this end I began searching online, I enjoy the convenience of shopping in my bear pelts. I had found a shoe site that had good prices earlier in the week. Yesterday I took a few minutes to complete the purchase.
   When I got the right website I saw a little bar at the top that said, “HURRY only 4 min 28 sec left for free shipping.” As you might image I was pleased and slightly flustered. I began the process; first I chose the color and size (as these were replacement boots I was able to move quickly). Then I was onto mailing information (I am well acquainted with this information and I had the good sense not to look at the time). Then onto billing, drat I need the credit card. Find the card. numbers, numbers, more numbers. and a date, I don’t know the date. And then that little number on the back for security, where is that? This is not good, oh no, the time is slipping. Would I like rushed shipping, no, do I, no, I want the free one that will end in 56 seconds. Get to check out, click check out.
  At this point a calmness that comes only with age and extreme stress came over me. I was able to rise above the keyboard and see myself clicking the check out button. My Above Me self guided the Below Me self to safety. While I was floating I also cleaned the dust off the ceiling fan, it had been bothering me for awhile. And the replacement boots were purchased. With the aid of my Above Me self I was able to buy the boots in 4 min and 9 sec.

1 comment:

  1. I am very glad one of my presents to you could aid in this concern. Bryan

    ReplyDelete