Friday, July 8, 2011

Solutions to your problems, 3

  Following is the third of a series in which I endeavor to assist my coworkers by clarifying a problem they are having and offering a solution. You might like to find the 2 previous postings to understand the full picture.

Taking the stairs
  The problem, dear coworker, is it has been so long since you have walked up the stairs you have forgotten that the climb is healthy and even fun. And during the time you have opted out on stairs you have continued to eat as if you were climbing them.

  Let me pause, here at the beginning, and state that I am not calling any kettles black. I need to climb all the stairs life might put in my path and now that I write this I am obligated. But I don’t wine and complain after the one time our office had a fire drill and are forced by a higher power to take the stairs back to our desks. And I don’t look at the steps as if they were vengeful creation for knee deterioration.

  While returning from the outside during our fire drill I overheard a coworker say something like, “they have to find a way for us to get back up when we can’t use the elevator.” I was stunned, dumbfounded, speechless (almost, I’ve never really been at a loss for words). “They” have found a way to get past the first floor. We as humans have been using it for centuries.

  Quick history of stairs through time, off the top of my head: Jesus and his friends met in the upper room. It seems the construction workers at the pyramids used them. The Mayans put them to good use well before my people walked over the land bridge (possibly assisted by some stairs of ice).

  The solution begins slowly and gains strength as you see fit. If you are of a certain age you might want to discuss this with a health care professional, but you must get your legs, knees, ankles, and feet more active. Maybe that could begin at your desk with some leg lifts. You could visualize the stairs while you move your feet up and down. However, for this plan to work you must actually climb the stairs. In our case, working on the third floor, you could use the elevator and the stairs in equal portion. This might mean that the first trip of the day you go manual and the second trip find the elevator. Or it could mean you take the elevator part of the way, and then switch to the stairs. In our building I suggest getting to the second floor before you begin to climb. The first floor stairwell is considerably longer than the second.

  To recap, begin with visualizing the stairs and you climbing them. Move your feet in tandem with your knees. Then you are ready to put thought into action. As you become fit you might find that you enjoy the challenge of climbing all the stairs. Even trying them at a brisk pace or two at a time. But this suggestion is for later, and again may need doctor’s approval.

No comments:

Post a Comment